Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East face of cross

AGD 527/79

Description East face of cross

Date c. 1985

Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu

Catalogue Number AGD 527/79

Category Prints and Drawings

Copies B 19612 P, SC 357590, SC 416788

Scope and Content Cross-slab known as St Martin's Cross, from Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This drawing shows the east face of the cross. The lower section of the shaft is carved with twenty-four serpents encircling three cross-shaped sets of bosses. The arms of the cross are also decorated with bosses and the ring with interlace. This is the best-preserved Early Christian cross on Iona. It stands about 21 m west of the south-west angle of the Abbey's nave. Carved out of a single block of stone, it is probably named after St Martin of Tours, who was popular with the Irish church. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Scale 1:20

Medium Pen and ink

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/357553

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions