Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NE of Engine House.

SC 355371

Description View from NE of Engine House.

Catalogue Number SC 355371

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of EL 5696

Scope and Content Cornish Beam Pumping Engine, Prestongrange, East Lothian This Beam Pumping Engine was built in 1874. It is of a type once commonly used for draining mines, especially in Cornwall where its builders, Harvey and Company, were based. It was modified in 1895 to cope with larger shaft-pumps, and in use until 1954. The Oregon pine shaft works the pump over 200 metres below. The cylinder in the engine-house fills with steam which raises the piston. This rocks the beam, so lowering the shaft. Next, the steam cuts off and the beam rocks back, raising the shaft. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/355371

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions