Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of date panel.

SC 355357

Description Detail of date panel.

Catalogue Number SC 355357

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of EL 5699

Scope and Content Detail of date panel at Prestongrange Colliery, East Lothian Monks from northewbattle Abbey first mined for coal at Prestongrange in the 12th century, and the first shaft of the colliery was sunk in 1830. The mine eventually closed in 1963, but the remaining buildings are now part of the Scottish Mining Museum. This date panel is placed above the entrance door to the building housing the colliery's beam pumping engine. Built in 1874 by Harvey & Company of Cornwall, the beam engine stands within a stone- and brick-built three-storeyed pump-house. The beam engine is of a type commonly used for draining mines, especially in Cornwall. Modified in 1895 to cope with larger shaft-pumps, it was in use until 1954. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/355357

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions