Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, Chanonry, St Machar's Cathedral. Photographic copy of an illustration of a general view of the cathedral from South-West. Title: 'The Ancient Cathedrals of Scotland - Drawn by Alexander McGi ...

SC 354882

Description Aberdeen, Chanonry, St Machar's Cathedral. Photographic copy of an illustration of a general view of the cathedral from South-West. Title: 'The Ancient Cathedrals of Scotland - Drawn by Alexander McGibbon. No.3 St Machars's, Aberdeen'.

Date 2/9/1893

Catalogue Number SC 354882

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ABD 42/12 P

Scope and Content Late 19th century drawing of St Machar's Cathedral, Old Aberdeen St Machar's Cathedral dates from 14th century but probably originated in the 12th century. It was damaged during the Reformation and when Cromwell's troops used stone from the choir to fortify Castlehill in 1650. The steeple collapsed in 1688. The west front of the cathedral was built in granite for Bishop Henry Lichton in 1422-40. The spires were added around a century later by Bishop Gavin Dunbar (1518-32). Old Aberdeen, originally 'Kirktoun of Aberdon', grew up around St Machar's Cathedral, built for the bishopric established in 1125-30. It was eventually absorbed by the royal burgh, 'New Aberdeen', centred on the harbour at the mouth of the Dee. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/354882

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions