Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Coloured aquatint showing General view towards Market Cross and Tolbooth from Castle Street. Hugh Irvine Delt. C.Turner Sculpt.

SC 354874

Description Coloured aquatint showing General view towards Market Cross and Tolbooth from Castle Street. Hugh Irvine Delt. C.Turner Sculpt.

Catalogue Number SC 354874

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ABD 518/1 P

Scope and Content Early 19th century painting of Castlegate and Union Street, Aberdeen Union Street runs south-east from Castlegate, crossing uneven ground on brick viaducts, and levelling part of St Katherine's Hill. Work began in 1801, with coordinated house designs probably provided by David Hamilton. This picture shows Castlegate in 1803. The town-house is the building with the spire in the middle distance. The beginnings of the Union Street development can just be seen beyond that. From 1800-1840, a generation of prestigious young architects led by John Smith and Archibald Simpson remodelled Aberdeen in Grecian neoclassical style and improved the infrastructure to meet the needs of the city's expanding industries. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/354874

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions