Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Internal buildings visible

SC 347537

Description Internal buildings visible

Catalogue Number SC 347537

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 24606

Scope and Content Fortress at Carpow, Perth and Kinross This Roman fortress is at Carpow. It was only in 1943 that its full layout was recorded through aerial photography, though the location was suspected. It appears to have had one period of occupation before being deliberately dismantled and abandoned. This is an aerial view of the site. The positions of two of the internal buildings can be seen here. The upper one is the headquarters building, and below is the Legate's residence. Both show up well enough that individual rooms can be clearly made out. The site was excavated in the 1960s. The pottery and coins found suggest that it was in use at the start of the third century AD. The fort would have held about 3500 men, and there is evidence that the garrisons was from the Second and Sixth Legions. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/347537

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions