Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view.

SC 347532

Description Oblique aerial view.

Date 1981

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 347532

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of PT 8714

Scope and Content Fortress at Carpow, Perth and Kinross This Roman fortress is at Carpow. It was only in 1943 that its full layout was recorded through aerial photography, though the location was suspected. It appears to have had one period of occupation before being deliberately dismantled and abandoned. This is an aerial view of the site. It shows the E side of the fort and the SE corner. There is an entrance halfway along the E rampart. The remains of the road, which entered the fort can be clearly seen at this point, head towards the headquarters. The site was excavated in the 1960s. The pottery and coins found suggest that it was in use at the start of the third century AD. The fort would have held about 3500 men, and there is evidence that the garrisons was from the Second and Sixth Legions. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/347532

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions