Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Chapter House

SC 337895

Description Chapter House

Catalogue Number SC 337895

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 81762 CS

Scope and Content Fortrose Cathedral Chapter-house Fortrose Cathedral Chapter-house became a tolbooth after the Reformation. The joint burgh of Fortrose and Rosemarkie took possession in 1661 when it was roofless. They made frantic efforts to find grants and to conscript local labour for repairs. The first floor was a church in 1723, a school until 1817, a debtors' prison until the 1830s and a court-room and council-chamber until 1939. A plaque above the entrance reads 'Decorated in the year 1780 by General Hector Munro K B & M P' Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/337895

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions