Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique view of principal front

SC 337147

Description Oblique view of principal front

Catalogue Number SC 337147

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of SH 474/2

Scope and Content Lerwick Tolbooth, Shetland Islands Lerwick Tolbooth was built by the Commissioners of Supply with the approval of Lord Morton. Funding came from local sources including ship-wrecks and the Morton Masonic Lodge in return for the use of a room. A new town hall was built in 1882. This much-altered tolbooth is the second on the site. The jail failed its inspection in 1836. It was then only used as a lock-up. The building became a post-office in 1878 and a Fisherman's Institute in 1912. The 1772 steeple was removed in 1927. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions