Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Scanned image of engraving showing the S front of Edinburgh City Chambers.

SC 336876

Description Scanned image of engraving showing the S front of Edinburgh City Chambers.

Date c. 1753

Catalogue Number SC 336876

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of EDD 372/1 P

Scope and Content Design of Edinburgh City Chambers (formerly known as 'Royal Exchange'), City of Edinburgh Built as the Royal Exchange, Edinburgh City Chambers began as a complex of shops, printers, flats, coffee-houses and offices. The council kept ownership of only the north block which became the City Chambers after the old tolbooth was demolished in 1810. John Adam beat the Gentlemen of Mary's Chapel in the competition to provide the plans. However, the Gentlemen, three wrights led by the architect John Fergus, won the contract to carry out the work itself. Fergus altered Adam's plan, and added an arcade closing off the courtyard. The Royal Exchange was the first of a series of civic improvements began by Lord Provost George Drummond who laid the foundation-stone with great ceremony in September 1753. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions