Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Detail of 1565 heraldic plaque from old tolbooth

SC 336871

Description Detail of 1565 heraldic plaque from old tolbooth

Catalogue Number SC 336871

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 65068

Scope and Content Queen Mary's arms from Leith Tolbooth, City of Edinburgh Leith Tolbooth was built with the support of Queen Mary in 1564-5. Edinburgh acquired superiority of the burgh in 1565 and used the tolbooth during the 1571-3 siege of Edinburgh Castle. This plaque with Queen Mary's arms is all that survives of the tolbooth. Originally displayed near the parapet above the central pend, it is now built into the wall of the South Leith Parish Church's porch. Despite the protests of Sir Walter Scott and C K Sharpe, the city magistrates demolished the tolbooth in 1824 to make way for a prison. This was never used for its intended purpose and was itself demolished in 1960. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/336871

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions