Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Photographic copy of engraved view of South facade, insc: 'Royal Exchange, High Street. Drawn by Tho. H. Shepherd. Engraved by W. Watkins'

SC 336276

Description Photographic copy of engraved view of South facade, insc: 'Royal Exchange, High Street. Drawn by Tho. H. Shepherd. Engraved by W. Watkins'

Catalogue Number SC 336276

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 47328

Scope and Content Edinburgh City Chambers (formerly 'Royal Exchange'), City of Edinburgh Built as the Royal Exchange, Edinburgh City Chambers began as a complex of shops, printers, flats, coffee-houses and offices. The council kept ownership of only the north block which became the City Chambers after the old tolbooth was demolished in 1810. This picture shows the building shortly after the council moved into the central block. The courtyard, or piazza, had been intended to be used by merchants as a place of exchange. However, they preferred to conduct business in the open street. The Royal Exchange was the first of a series of civic improvements began by Lord Provost George Drummond who laid the foundation-stone with great ceremony in September 1753. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/336276

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions