Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from West

SC 335717

Description View from West

Catalogue Number SC 335717

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 39198 CN

Scope and Content Dysart Tolbooth, Fife Built in 1576, Dysart Tolbooth replaced an earlier tolbooth. The main block - enlarged in 1765, replaced in 1885 - housed the magistrates, the council, a prison, weigh-house, and guard-house. One room, a coffee room in 1811, became a library in 1815. The forestair and doorway are early 17th-century, perhaps linked to the 1617 date-stone on the steeple's west wall. In 1743, Lord Sinclair of Dysart House persuaded an architect to design a new belfry. It was built for £499 by a burgh councillor. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions