Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, Old Aberdeen, High Street, Town Street. General view from South.

SC 335611

Description Aberdeen, Old Aberdeen, High Street, Town Street. General view from South.

Catalogue Number SC 335611

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 10820 CN

Scope and Content Old Aberdeen Town-house, City of Aberdeen Old Aberdeen Town-house was built on the site of an earlier tolbooth. Much of the funding came from individual councillors who hired the council convenor as architect and contractor, perhaps because they trusted him to keep the costs down. The burgh bell was cast in 1754 by John Mowat. It preserves a version of the inscription of a bell cast in 1713 by Albert Gely, a French bell-founder living in Old Aberdeen. The Latin translates as: 'We summon to sacred rites and to councils'. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/335611

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions