Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
General view of no.s 1-19
ED 4822/31
Description General view of no.s 1-19
Date 8/1959
Collection Records of the Scottish National Buildings Record, Edinburgh, Scotland
Catalogue Number ED 4822/31
Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images
Copies SC 502779
Scope and Content Nos 1-19 on the east side of Heriot Row, Edinburgh Heriot Row is an elegant south-facing terrace overlooking the wooded gardens of Queen Street. Designed by Robert Reid in 1802-3 as two sections, divided by Howe Street, it was the first street to be built in the northern New Town. The whole terrace, designed as two very long palace fronts, had two-storeyed houses, except for the centrepieces and the end pavilions, which had three storeys. Nowadays, most of the two-storeyed houses have been raised in height by one storey. Heriot Row was named after George Heriot (1563-1623), goldsmith to James VI, whose vast fortune was left to fund George Heriot's Hospital, and set up a Trust that later bought most of the land stretching northwards from Queen Street Gardens to Canonmills. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/318735
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)
Licence Type: Full
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]