Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of lintel dated 1575 on street elevation, 7 Fitzroy Street, Dysart.

F 949

Description Detail of lintel dated 1575 on street elevation, 7 Fitzroy Street, Dysart.

Date 10/1964

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number F 949

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 1575203

Scope and Content Written on the back of the mounted print: ‘Shire: Fife. Place: Dysart. Building: 7, Fitzroy Street’. Photographer: ‘J.P.’ Date: ‘Oct 1964’ Datestone, 7 Fitzroy Street, Dysart, Fife 7 Fitzroy Street was built in 1575, 22 years after Dysart became a royal burgh. It was extended in about 1700 around the time the burgh began to decline. This datestone bears the date 1575 and the initials of the original owners. Dysart, a pre-existing settlement on the outskirts of Kirkcaldy, became a burgh of barony in 1510 and a royal burgh in 1533. Originally a salt-making centre, it grew into a thriving port for exporting coal and fish. It declined from the 18th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference MW/BR/DYS(T)/23

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/316599

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions