Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Photographic copy of drawing showing perspective view of Netherbow Port

EDD 579/1 P

Description Photographic copy of drawing showing perspective view of Netherbow Port

Catalogue Number EDD 579/1 P

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copy of EDD 579/1

Copies SC 437373

Scope and Content 16th-century view of the Netherbow Port, High Street, Edinburgh The Netherbow Port was the east gate and main entrance to the City. It was one of six gates in the 16th-century Flodden Wall that surrounded the Old Town, and the boundary between Edinburgh and the Burgh of the Canongate. The gate, typical of 16th-century Scottish architecture, expressed civic strength with its baronial turrets and pointed roofs. It had a central pend or passage with a vaulted room or lodge on either side. In 1514 after the Battle of Flodden, James V had the walls of the City strengthened and the suburbs of Grassmarket and Cowgate enclosed with the Flodden Wall, a defence against smugglers and the English. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/290286

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions