Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Photographic copy of drawing by J Houston showing Netherbow Port

ED 2631

Description Photographic copy of drawing by J Houston showing Netherbow Port

Date c. 1950

Catalogue Number ED 2631

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 426749

Scope and Content Drawing of the 17th century Netherbow Port, High Street, Edinburgh The Netherbow Port was the east gate and main entrance to the city. It was one of six gates in the 16th-century Flodden Wall that surrounded the Old Town, and the boundary between Edinburgh and the Burgh of the Canongate. In 1606 the gate was remodelled on the Porte St Honore in Paris. It had a central pend or passage with a guardhouse on either side. Above the pend hung a large bell, cast in Holland, that tolled the curfew for the City. The Netherbow Port was taken by the Earl of Hertford in 1544, withstood numerous assaults in 1571 when Kirkcaldy of Grange held Edinburgh for Mary Queen of Scots, and admitted Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Prince Charles Edward Stewart or Bonnie Prince Charlie) in 1745 with no opposition. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/290283

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions