Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of carved panel on south elevation of 2 The Esplanade, Anstruther Wester.

F 705

Description View of carved panel on south elevation of 2 The Esplanade, Anstruther Wester.

Date 7/1963

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number F 705

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 1559502

Scope and Content Written on the back of the mounted print: 'Shire: Fife. Place: Anstruther Wester. Building: 2, The Esplanade'. Photographer: 'F.B.' Date: 'July 1963' Number 2 The Esplanade was probably built in the 18th century and originally served as an inn. The front of the building bears this formalised carving of a wheat sheaf. Anstruther Wester began as part of a fishing town, becoming a Burgh of Barony in 1541, and a Royal Burgh in the 1580s. A 'mean town' in 1616, it suffered economic damage from the Act of Union in 1707 but recovered in the late 18th and 19th centuries. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference MW/BR/ANS/21

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/247476

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions