Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Photograph of drawing showing North Elevation.

B 33482 P

Description Photograph of drawing showing North Elevation.

Date 1976

Catalogue Number B 33482 P

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 369473

Scope and Content South elevation of St Rule's Church, St Andrews, Fife St Rule's (or St Regulus') Church dates from the 11th or 12th centuries, and was the first church of the Augustinian Priory. Scholars have not reached agreement on the period of its foundation, though recent work argues strongly for an 11th-century date. The church originally consisted of two blocks, of which the eastern survives, on either side of the central tower. If the 12th-century east arch (not shown) is a later insertion, then the features shown here probably date from the 11th century. Historical evidence suggests that St Rule's was extended, rather than built, by Bishop Robert after his consecration in 1127, and that the church was already important enough to contain royal burials. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions