Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews. General view of Cathedral and St Regulus from North West.

F 2047

Description St Andrews. General view of Cathedral and St Regulus from North West.

Date c. 1890

Collection Erskine Beveridge

Catalogue Number F 2047

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 369419

Scope and Content St Andrews Cathedral (left) and St Rule's Church (right), Fife The building of the present cathedral (left) began in 1160 and it was finally consecrated in 1318. The square tower and chancel (right) are all that survive of the church of St Rule, which is possibly of 11th-century origin but mainly dates to 1130-50. Built of massive blocks of finely-finished sandstone, St Rule, or Regulus, is a masterpiece of early Romanesque architecture and stands 33m high. The chancel is lit by two small windows set high in each of its side walls. To the left is the east gable of the cathedral which would have been the first part to be built. Originally, the gable had three tiers of windows. Gables of this design had been used in churches since at least the early 12th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/226656

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 59) Papers of Erskine Beveridge, antiquarian, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

> Item Level (F 2047) St Andrews. General view of Cathedral and St Regulus from North West.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Erskine Beveridge Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions