Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view.

KB 3083

Description Oblique aerial view.

Date 1983

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number KB 3083

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 358531

Scope and Content Aerial view of Southerness Lighthouse, Kirkcudbrightshire Southerness Lighthouse was built by Dumfries Town Council in 1748-9 to serve the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth. It was Scotland's third purpose-built lighthouse and is the second oldest to survive to the present day. The original 9.1m tower was heightened in the 1780s. It was equipped with an oil-light by 1811 when it passed to the Nith Navigation Commission who improved and heightened it further in 1842-3. The top part of the lighthouse dates from 1894. The waters of the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth are difficult to navigate because of the treacherous sand-bars. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/175942

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions