Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Leith Docks. Aerial view.

SC 1677800

Description Leith Docks. Aerial view.

Date 1989

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 1677800

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 21789

Scope and Content General view of Leith Docks, Edinburgh The original harbour at Leith was the mouth of the Water of Leith, protected and extended by piers. This was modernised between 1800-17 with the construction of East and West Old Docks. Other docks followed, including the Victoria Dock in 1851. This is a general view of the docks at Leith. Leith was the only port on the east coast of Scotland to have grain-handling facilities. It has two grain warehouses. One is at the Imperial Dock and the other is at the Edinburgh Dock. Leith Docks consists of six enclosed docks built in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and an inner and outer harbour used by coasting vessels and the New Western harbour. The total water area of the docks is 220 acres. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1677800

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions