Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Notebook labelled ‘Notes on North and South Knapdale’ – ‘Knoydart and Cantyre’.

MS 405/5/1

Description Notebook labelled ‘Notes on North and South Knapdale’ – ‘Knoydart and Cantyre’.

Date 19/7/1924 to 17/9/1929

Collection J Symington Grieve

Catalogue Number MS 405/5/1

Category Manuscripts

Scope and Content Small black notebook labelled on cover ‘Notes on North and South Knapdale’ – ‘Knoydart and Cantyre’. Diagrams and notes. Pencil. Period covered: 1924-1929 P 1-2 Sandvik Knoydart – 19th July 1924. Stroked out. ‘May have originally been a Columban chapel – but latterly occupied by a crofter who was evicted’ P 3 Samaladhan Knoydart – ruined chapel P 5-13 Kilmory Knapdale Church P 15-17 Eilean Mor – Chapel. 8th June 1925 P 19-29 Ellary, South Knapdale. Chladbhile bury place – ‘Priest’s foot’ P 30-31 The Cave, Ellary; Loch Killisport Chapel. P 33-35 Kilberry, S. Knapdale P 37-41 Kiells, South Knapdale. 6th July 1926. P 41- Kiells, South Knapdale 30th August 1929 P 42-45 Dun Add, near Crinan 7th July 1926. (and see p 69) P 47-49 Arifour near Dun Troon, Poltalloch 9th July 1926 P 51-55 Ealeach an Naoimh, Garvelloch 13th July 1926. Lime kiln; Bee Hive houses in ruins; ruined church P 56-64 ‘Outline description of Ruins and Site of Ealeach an Naoimh, Isles of the Sea. See also p 80. P 66-67 Garvelloch Island – Isles of the Sea; and Ancient Graveyard. P 69 Dunadd (from page 43) 19th July 1926 P 70 Keill Mor, Knapdale P 73-74 Dun in ruins, on left hand side of road to Tayvallich on hill, known as Arichonan Castle. 8th July 1927 P 75 Tumulus with two Standing Stones on the left hand of the road to Tayvallich. 8th July 1927 P 76-77 Stone with cup marks on Druim na Gall Farm. 8th July 1927 P 78-79 Dun Bharragan Loch Sween. Near Keill. 13th July 1927 P 80 Treasure House Ealach a Naoimh, Isles of the Sea or Garvelloch P 82-83 Saddell Ruined Abbey, Kintyre. 18th July 1927 P 85-90 Killinuire – Ruins of Killinuire Church and Monastery, near Ford, Loch Awe. August 28th 1929 P 93 Cairnbaan. Stone Circle and strange Kern-shaped Stone. 17 Sept 1929 P 94-95, 97 Castle Dounie, near Crinan, and cup-marked stones. P 96 Achnabreck Hill above the Farm House Remainder of notebook – blank pages.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1662140

People and Organisations

Events

MyCanmore Text Contributions