Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Excavation photograph - rampart, foundations.

RX 3531

Description Excavation photograph - rampart, foundations.

Date 1949

Catalogue Number RX 3531

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 357130

Scope and Content Fort at Cappuck, Scottish Borders This Roman fort is at Cappuck. It is situated on the E bank of Oxnam Water, and guards the point where Dere Street, the main Roman road from England, crossed the river. The site was occupied several times during the Flavian and Antonine periods. This view of the site was taken during excavation and it shows the foundations of the defensive rampart. These consisted of a layer of stone cobbles. The rampart itself was made from clay, and was over 7 m wide. The site was excavated in 1886, then again in 1911 and 1949. An inscribed stone found during the first excavation shows that part of the fort was built by the Twentieth Legion, probably during the Antonine phase. It is now the Royal Museum of Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/158051

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions