Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

General view of 249-261 Canongate, Edinburgh, from SW.

DP 190156

Description General view of 249-261 Canongate, Edinburgh, from SW.

Date 27/5/2014

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number DP 190156

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This shows the tenements at 249-261 Canongate, Edinburgh. These were rebuilt to replace slum tenements in 1956-7 by Robert Hurd & Partners as part of their wider Canongate improvement scheme. Hurd & Partners aimed to reintroduce some elements of the 17th and 18th century tenement styles in the rebuilt blocks, including the arcaded shop premises on the ground floor at 251-7 Canongate (right), pale green, red and cream render, timber-clad projecting bay to the upper floors, and multi-paned windows (though some have been replaced with modern double glazed units). Robert Hurd & Partners also restored several blocks on the Canongate during the 1950s and 1960s, including 238-48 Canongate in 1955 (238-44) and 1963-4 (246 and 248) as part of a wider improvement scheme for the Chessel's Court and Canongate area.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1427859

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions