Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of Cadell House, Panmure Close, 129 Canongate, Edinburgh, from SE.

DP 188666

Description General view of Cadell House, Panmure Close, 129 Canongate, Edinburgh, from SE.

Date 24/4/2014

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number DP 188666

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This shows the mid-18th century Cadell House, Panmure Close, 129 Canongate, Edinburgh. Located on one of the long burgage plots leading north from Canongate to North Back of Canongate (now Calton Road), this three-storeyed, six-bayed merchants' house is built of rubble stonework with a piended or hipped roof with a central chimneystack. Along with many other properties in the vicinity, Cadell House was restored in 1954 as flats. This former merchants' house was built as the Edinburgh residence for the Haddington merchant William Cadell (1668-1728). Cadell was a journeyman glazier (skilled artisan glassworker) to trade, and the family had several industrial ventures in East lothian. His third son, William (1707-77) founded the Carron Ironworks in Falkirk in 1759 with two partners. His son in turn, also William (1737-1819) managed the Carron Ironworks and set up the family seat nearby, establishing the Cadells of Grange.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1424614

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions