Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of gates at Canongate entrance to Scottish Parliament from Queensberry House, 64 Canongate, Edinburgh.

DP 161331

Description Detail of gates at Canongate entrance to Scottish Parliament from Queensberry House, 64 Canongate, Edinburgh.

Date 18/9/2013

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number DP 161331

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Queensberry House has its origins in 1667-70 when it was built for Margaret Douglas of Balmakelly as one of several mansions which occupied the southern side of the Canongate during the 17th century. It was modified in 1681 by James Smith (1645-1731) for Charles Maitland of Halton, before being bought by the 1st Duke of Queensberry (from where it takes its name) in 1686. James Smith again carried out further additions and alterations for the 2nd Duke c.1700. In 1801, the house and land was sold to the Board of Ordnance, who had established an army barracks there, adding an extra storey to the house and turning the gardens into a parade ground. In 1834, the newly-formed Board of Health in Edinburgh took over Queensberry House to establish a 'house of refuge' for the destitute. The building remained in use as such until becoming a geriatric hospital in 1949 until its closure in 1995. In 1997, it was acquired to form part of the redevelopment of this part of Canongate in the creation of the new Scottish Parliament (1999-2004). This shows the bespoke metal security gates inserted within the original stone gate piers leading from Canongate. The refurbished building is F-plan, comprising three storeyed and is lime harled with rusticated quoins and pantiled roofs. Some original features have been retained inside the building during the refurbishment, including a moulded fireplace in the newly formed Parliament's Allowances Office, which originally formed part of the kitchens for the mansion. It is said that the eldest son of the Duke, James Douglas, Earl of Drumlanrig (1697-1715) 'roasted and ate a kitchen boy' in 1707 while his father was signing the Act of Union between England and Scotland.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1350342

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions