Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of Old Kirk of Edinburgh and Church Hall, 37 Holyrood Road, Edinburgh, from SE.

DP 160511

Description General view of Old Kirk of Edinburgh and Church Hall, 37 Holyrood Road, Edinburgh, from SE.

Date 20/8/2013

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number DP 160511

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This former church was built to designs by Anderson & Browne in 1881-2 as an overflow for the congregation of St Giles' Cathedral on the High Street. The building was acquired by Moray House College c.1945 to be used by the music and educational handiwork departments. The windows were replaced during this time. Prior to the building of this church on this site in Holyrood Road (formrely South Back of Canongate), this land had never been built upon. It was in effect, a medieval toft which had never been developed. The building and the large area of ground around it is being redeveloped (2013-4) by Edinburgh University to provide student accommodation, offices, shops, bars and restaurants on the site of existing university buildings.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1348347

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions