Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of entrance to Bakehouse Close at Huntly House Museum, 142-146 Canongate, Edinburgh.

DP 158596

Description Detail of entrance to Bakehouse Close at Huntly House Museum, 142-146 Canongate, Edinburgh.

Date 24/7/2013

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number DP 158596

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This shows the arched entrance to Bakehouse Close from Canongate, leading under the 16th- and 17th-century Huntly House. Just visible through the archway are some of the buildings in Bakehouse Close which form one of the oldest groups of houses on the Canongate. These have rubble-built ground floor with timber-clad upper floors, some jettied out over the lower stories, and with a forestair giving entry at first-floor level. Now the Museum of Edinburgh, Huntly House comprises three 16th-century tenements, amalgamated into one house by John Acheson in 1570. The name of the property comes from when George, 1st Marquis of Huntly stayed here in 1636. The building was extended for the guild of the Incorporation of Hammermen later in the 17th century by Robert Mylne. This group of buildings were acquired by Edinburgh City in 1924 and Frank C Mears carried out extensive restoration work in 1927-32. The 17th-century 142 Canongate (just visible on the left) was restored by Ian Gordon Lindsay in 1962-5 and incorporated into the museum.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions