Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Huntly House, Canongate, Edinburgh, from SE.

DP 158593

Description View of Huntly House, Canongate, Edinburgh, from SE.

Date 24/7/2013

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number DP 158593

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This shows part of 16th- and 17th-century Huntly House, now the Museum of Edinburgh, with the courtyard off the Canongate enclosed by the fragment of wall which originally formed the small two-storeyed building with a shop on the ground floor which was Slater's Court. There was access to Acheson House and Wilson's Court via an opening adjoining Huntly House. During the late 19th and early 20th century, the courtyard was used as a slaters' storage yard, and the property on the site was owned by the Slater family. Huntly House comprises three 16th-century tenements, amalgamated into one house by John Acheson in 1570. The name of the property comes from when George, 1st Marquis of Huntly stayed here in 1636. The building was extended for the guild of the Incorporation of Hammermen later in the 17th century by Robert Mylne. This group of buildings were acquired by Edinburgh City in 1924 and Frank C Mears carried out extensive restoration work in 1927-32. The 17th-century 142 Canongate (seen here) was restored by Ian Gordon Lindsay in 1962-5 and incorporated into the museum.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1345414

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions