Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

View of Huntly House (left) and Slater's Court, Canongate, Edinburgh, from SE.

DP 158592

Description View of Huntly House (left) and Slater's Court, Canongate, Edinburgh, from SE.

Date 24/7/2013

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number DP 158592

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This shows the original area which formed Slater's Court, just off the Canongate. To the left is part of 16th- and 17th-century Huntly House, now the Museum of Edinburgh. In the background is the ogee-shaped gable of the Canongate Kirk, built in 1688-91 to designs by James Smith, to house the Protestant congregation of the Canongate after the Catholic King James VII/II took the Holyrood Parish Church to be the Catholic place of worship in the burgh. The fragment of wall which fronts Canongate at Slater's Court originally formed a small two-storeyed building with a shop on the ground floor. There was access to Acheson House and Wilson's Court via an opening adjoining Huntly House. During the late 19th and early 20th century, the courtyard was used as a slaters' storage yard, and the property on the site was owned by the Slater family. The fragment of wall has been incorporated into forming a small courtyard for the Museum of Edinburgh in Huntly House. Huntly House comprises three 16th-century tenements, amalgamated into one house by John Acheson in 1570. The name of the property comes from when George, 1st Marquis of Huntly stayed here in 1636. The building was extended for the guild of the Incorporation of Hammermen later in the 17th century by Robert Mylne. This group of buildings were acquired by Edinburgh City in 1924 and Frank C Mears carried out extensive restoration work in 1927-32. The 17th-century 142 Canongate (seen here) was restored by Ian Gordon Lindsay in 1962-5 and incorporated into the museum.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions