Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Charles Brand

551 36

Description Charles Brand

Date 1945 to 1969

Collection Charles Brand

Catalogue Number 551 36

Category All Other

Scope and Content Material relating to the work of Charles Brand, Demolition Contractor, Dundee comprising two photograph albums recording country houses and castles demolished by the firm in the late 1940s and 1950s with views taken prior and during the process of demolition; a file of press cuttings relating to the demolitions with press advertisements for the subsequent sale of materials from Panmure, etc, 1949-58; a typescript list of buildings demolished; and a series of pencil drawings of the demolished buildings, drawn by Colin Gibson. The collection also comprises photographic prints donated by the firm to the Scottish National Buildings Record prior to 1956.

Archive History Deposited on temporary loan by Dundee Museums and Art Galleries, 1987. The collection was deposited in two accessions: Acc No 1982/23, press cuttings and sketches, and Acc No 1987/12, photograph albums. Also, not formally accessioned, photographic prints donated by the firm directly to the Scottish National Buildings Record.

System of Arrangement File of press-cuttings; typescript listing; file of drawings; two photograph albums.

Related Material Correspondence dated 1959 indicates that prior to 1956, Charles Brand's firm had donated images of houses demolished to the Scottish National Buildings Record (see SNBR Collection).

Access Conditions Open, but note that access may be subject to provisions outlined in the Data Protection Act and conservation requirements. Please contact the archive to confirm access in advance of a visit.

Administrative History Charles Brand was a Dundee-based demolition contractor, active between the 1940s and 1960s over a wide area of southern and eastern Scotland. The collection records or suggests work at the following: Courthill House, 1945; Dalpowie House, 1945; Ravenstone House, 1948; Murthly Castle, 1948-9; Panmure House, 1950; Logan House, 1950; Fotheringham House, 1950; Upper Largo House, 1950; Duncrub House (1950?); Wells House (1951?); Cavers House, 1953; St Fort, 1953; Maulesden House, 1960; Milkbank House, 1960; Auchmore House, 1962; Thirlestane House (1965?); Newton Hall (1966?); Almondell House (1969?); Hillfoot House; Balminnoch Lodge; Carmichael House; Dryfeholm House; Glasserton House.

Accruals No further accruals are expected.

Accession Number 1982/23; 1987/12

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1176335

Collection Hierarchy - Collection Level

Collection Level (551 36) Charles Brand

Preview Category Catalogue Number Title Date Level
All Other 551 36/1 Press cuttings and pencil drawings Group Level
All Other 551 36/2 Photograph albums Group Level
All Other 551 36/3 Photographs donated to the Scottish National Buildings Record 1945 Group Level

People and Organisations

Events