Glenoglehead Station

Cottage(s), Railway Station

Site Name Glenoglehead Station

Classification Cottage(s), Railway Station

Alternative Name(s) Killin (original) Station; Glenoglehead Crossing; Glenoglehead Cottages

Canmore ID 88266

Site Number NN52NE 16

NGR NN 5581 2829

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Killin
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN52NE 16 5581 2829

Glenoglehead Cottages [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1977.

Not to be confused with Killin Junction (NN 5307 2874), Killin (NN 5749 3328) or Killin, Loch Tay Pier (NN 583 344) stations, for which see NN52NW 20, NN53SE 40 and NN53SE 32, respectively.

This intermediate station on the Stirling-Crianlarich portion of the Oban route of the former Caledonian Rly was opened (as Killin station) by the Callander and Oban Rly on 1 June 1870. It was renamed Glenoglehead Station on 1 April 1886 (at the opening of the Killin branch), further renamed Glenoglehead Crossing on 30 September 1891, and closed to regular passenger traffic in December 1916. It has also entered the literature (and borne platform signs) as Killin Junction station.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 3 December 1998.

R V J Butt 1995.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions