Pennymuir

Temporary Camp (roman)(possible)

Site Name Pennymuir

Classification Temporary Camp (roman)(possible)

Alternative Name(s) Pennymuir Camp D; Dere Street

Canmore ID 83744

Site Number NT71SE 5.4

NGR NT 757 139

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Hownam
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT71SE 5.04 757 139

Camp D: Also on the E side of Dere Street but opposite the centre of Camp A (NT71SE 5.01) there are the rounded NE corner and parts of the adjacent sides of a rectangular earthwork consisting of a single rampart and ditch which may have been a fourth Roman work. The SE corner of this has been destroyed by erosion of the left bank of the Kale Water, while the rest of the circuit has been totally obliterated by former cultivation and by recent drainage-ditching. The same cultivation has considerably reduced the visible remains, which are difficult to locate without the aid of the National Survey air photographs (visible on air photographs CPE/SCOT/ 319: 2144-5). The E side can be traced for 380' from the corner to the edge of the steep cliff overlooking the Kale Water, and the N side for 150' from the same corner. Where best preserved the ditch is 10' wide and 12' deep and the rampart 13' thick and 12' high. Although no gates are visible, the fact that the earthwork is older than the cultivation, the rounded corner, and the dimensions of the rampart and ditch strongly favour a Roman origin.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1949

Centred NT 758 139. Parts of the N and E sides of Camp 'D', including the NE angle, are traceable as a low spread turf bank (5.0m broad and 0.1m - 0.3m high) with slight traces of an outer ditch. The N side can be traced for some 120.0m running up the hillside; and the E side for some 130.0m to the Kale Water. The earthwork has been badly cut up with drains.

Visited by OS (JLD) 11 August 1960

Generally as described by previous authorities.

Visited by OS (RD) 30 May 1968.

No change to the previous information.

Visited by OS (BS) 8 September 1976.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions