Temporary Camp (roman)
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Hownam
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Roxburgh
- Former County Roxburghshire
NT71SE 5.02 756 138
Camp B: lies within the SE portion of A (NT71SE 5.01), and utilised A's defences on the S and E sides. That the small camp is the later of the two is clear from the fact that at the NE and SW corners its ditch cuts across the line of the rampart of Camp A. Rectangular on plan, it measures 960' by 410' internally. The N and W sides are in good order, the rampart and ditch being similar in size and construction to those of the larger camp. The original number of gates was presumably six, but only four now remain and one of these, in the E side, has lost its traverse: the arrangement of the gates suggests that in this case the camp faced S. Three of the gates average 28' in width, and to judge by its traverse the northward gate in the W side was originally of similar dimensions; but it has subsequently been reduced to a width of 6'. This reduction, for which a parallel occurs at Reycross, may represent a re-occupation of the camp in Roman times.
RCAHMS 1956, visited 1949
Centred NT 755 139. The remains of Camps 'A' and 'B' have been fully described above. As stated, the earthworks within and without the SW angle are later works: two sheepfolds and an old turf (? field) bank.
Visited by OS (JLD) 11 August 1960
Generally as described by previous authorities.
Visited by OS (RD) 30 May 1968.
No change to the previous information.
Visited by OS (BS) 8 September 1976.