Sandside House

Country House

Site Name Sandside House

Classification Country House

Canmore ID 7250

Site Number NC96NE 11

NGR NC 95215 65155

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Reay
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

NC96NE 11.00 95215 65155

For sculptured stones (possibly incorporated in the fabric of the house), see NC96NE 10.00.

NC96NE 11.01 NC 9514 6524 Hothouses

NC96NE 11.02 NC 9517 6525 Bothy House

NC96NE 11.03 NC 9515 6525 Cottages

NC96NE 11.04 NC 9520 6501 Policies [unlocated buildings]

NC96NE 11.05 NC 9523 6528 Home Farm [steading]

NC96NE 11.06 NC 9519 6519 Chauffeur's Cottage

NC96NE 11.07 NC 9505 6513 Fish Hatchery

NC96NE 11.08 NC 9520 6521 Garage

NC96NE 11.09 NC 9518 6517 Underkeeper's Cottage

NC96NE 11.10 Centred NC 95262 65125 SE Walled Garden

NC96NE 11.11 NC 95083 64629 Lodge; Gate Piers

NC96NE 11.12 NC 95216 65234 Kiln Barn, Byre, Cottage and Dairy [Formerly also entered as ].

NC96NE 11.13 NC 95238 65218 Implement Shed [Store]

NC96NE 11.14 NC 95127 65211 NE Walled Garden

NC96NE 11.15 NC 95243 65154 Privy

NC96NE 11.16 NC 95015 65200 Dovecot

(NC 9520 6515) Sandside House (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1967)

The first Lord Reay, created in 1628, built a house at Sandside, but the present building bears the date 1751, and has considerable additions made to it since then. It is a large plain square-looking family mansion of no architectural beauty, the property of the Duke of Portland The rectangular ice-house (at NC 9573 6551) is of 18th - 19th century date. R Pocock 1887; C Cordiner 1780; P Townend 1963; Name Book 1873.

An unpretentious mansion, considerably restored with many modern additions, but possibly partly 18th century.

Visited by OS (J L D) 18 April 1960.

The present owner of the building (Captain S Taylor, Sandside House) believes that part of the S end of the house pre-dates 1751, although a specific date is not known. The exterior of this early phase is masked by the later reconstructions and alterations.

Visited by OS (J B) 8 September 1981.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions