- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Dumfries
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Nithsdale
- Former County Dumfries-shire
NX97SE 2.00 9775 7467
NX97SE 2.01 NX 9775 7467 Chapel
(NX 9775 7467) Castle(NR) (site of)
OS 6" map (1970)
A royal castle was established on the motte at Castledykes. It was rebuilt in stone in the 1260's and during the Edwardian occupation, a great ditch was dug around the castle, which was also encircled by a wooden paling. There is a strong belief that this castle was destroyed after its capture by Bruce in 1313 and was not rebuilt.
SBS Dumfries 1977
The RCAHMS state that it is not now possible to determine the layout of the castle due to landscaping, but describe the oblong mound SE of Castledykes mansion as the remains of a motte, where remains of a ditch and rampart may be seen round its E and S sides; the associated bailey probably extended W towards the river. Small scale excavations here in 1953 revealed traces of walling, just SW of, and also N of the flagstaff (see NX97SE 2.1.) Some 20 pieces of pottery, mainly 13th / 14th century in date, were recovered and are now in Dumfries Museum.
(This castle is erroneously named "Comyn's Castle" on earlier editions of the OS maps.)
RCAHMS 1920, visited 1915; A E Truckell 1955; A E Truckell and J Williams 1967; J Williams 1968.