Barjarg House

Country House, Tower House

Site Name Barjarg House

Classification Country House, Tower House

Alternative Name(s) Barjarg Tower

Canmore ID 65297

Site Number NX89SE 8

NGR NX 87792 90049

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Keir
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX89SE 8.00 87792 90049

NX89SE 8.01 NX 8769 9004 Stables

NX89SE 8.02 NX 87784 90033 Sundial

NX89SE 8.03 NX 88002 90021 Drybridge

NX88NE 60 NX 88304 89895 Back Lodge

NX88NE 33 Centred on NX 87695 89889 Walled Garden

NX88NE 34 NX 87833 89902 Front Lodge

(NX 87819005) Tower (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

Barjarg Tower: This L-planned tower, dating from the late 16th century, and said to have been given by the Earl of Morton to Thomas Grierson in 1587, forms the E-wing of a mansion built in 1806. Built of red rubble and rising to four storeys and an attic, it has both corbelled angle-turrets and a parapet; the latter may be a modernisation as there has been considerable alteration to the building. The W wing of the modern house is a very fair imitation of the style of the earlier fortalice; it bears a panel dated 1680, which presumably has come from the latter.

RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912; N Tranter 1965; TSA 1962

Barjarg Tower is as described by the previous authorities.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JP) 10 August 1976

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions