Chamfron, Drinking Horn(s)
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Kelton
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Stewartry
- Former County Kirkcudbrightshire
c. 780 618.
(Approx NX 780 618). The object of Early Iron Age metalwork hitherto known as the Torrs Chamfrein was found before 1829 in a morass (presumably a peat-bog and probably a drained loch) on the farm of Torrs in the parish of Kelton - presumably in the area of marshy ground marked on the OS maps as Torrs Loch.
In its present form it is a modern fabrication from hitherto separate objects made in the same workshop in the second half of the third century BC. The cap part was probably worn on the head of a pony; the horns were probably terminals to drinking horns. It is now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS).
R J C Atkinson and S Piggott 1955
No further information was encountered regarding the exact find-spot of this Chamfrein; but it is believed locally to have been found somewhere within the area of Torrs Loch (Mr J Smith, Nether Torrs).
Visited by OS (WDJ) 21 February 1963.