Kirkcudbright, Castle Street, Maclellan's Castle
Castle, Fortified House
Site Name Kirkcudbright, Castle Street, Maclellan's Castle
Alternative Name(s) Mclellan's Castle; Maclellan's House; Maclellan's Castle; Kirkcudbright Castle; Kirkcudbright Harbour, Castle
Canmore ID 64065
Site Number NX65SE 28
NGR NX 68237 51068
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Kirkcudbright
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Stewartry
- Former County Kirkcudbrightshire
NX65SE 28 68237 51068.
(NX 6823 5106) Kirkcudbright Castle (NR)
(In Ruins) AD 1582.
OS 25" map (1893-4)
Maclellan's House, or Kirkcudbright Castle, is an excellent example of 16th century domestic architecture built in 1582 by Sir Thomas Maclellan. The modified L-shape building is four storeys high with two additional attics.
RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911
Maclellan's Castle, a ruin since 1752 is scheduled.
V G Childe and W D Simpson 1954
Maclellan's House stands on the site of the convent of Greyfriars which, being in ruins, was in 1569 granted to Sir Thomas (but see NX65SE 41 - Friary - site of).
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887
The ruined building is as described above; it is known as Maclellan's Castle.
Visited by OS (EGC) 8 February 1965
NX65SE 28 68237 51068
Edinburgh Public Library.
James Grant's Sketch Books in M.S.S. Nos 320 and 321 - 6 drawings
Scottish National Portrait Gallery.
Country Life, Aug 1st, 1947, p22, photograph and article