Blackadder House

Castle, Country House

Site Name Blackadder House

Classification Castle, Country House

Alternative Name(s) Blackadder Castle; Blackadder Estate

Canmore ID 59724

Site Number NT85SE 16

NGR NT 85636 54049

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Edrom
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT85SE 16.00 85636 54049

NT85SE 16.01 85023 53833 Walled Garden

NT85SE 16.02 85071 53920 Gardener's Cottage

NT85SE 16.01 85011 53883 Walled Garden, Summerhouse

NT85SE 16.01 85012 53879 Walled Garden, Glasshouse

See also:

NT85SW 36 84980 52353 Blackadder Mains, Steading

NT85SW 48 84814 54873 Blackadder House, North Gate-lodge

NT85SE 21 85467 53364 Blackadder Mount, Steading

NT85SE 22 85740 52253 South Lodge with Gate and Gate Piers

NT85SE 32.00 86539 54281 Woodside Cottage (North Lodge

NT85SE 32.01 86544 54249 Lydd Cottage (North Lodge)

NT85SE 46 85137 52158 Blackadder Mains, Cottage

There was formerly a castle at Blackadder. It was razed by the Duke of Albany in 1515 (G Chalmers 1887-1902).

New Statistical Account (NSA, A Cuthbertson) 1845.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Blackadder House has been demolished.

Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS.

ARCHITECTS:

Alexander Gilkie - design for a conservatory, bridge, greenhouse, 1782, design for a bridge, pre 1796

James Playfair - design for alternatives and interior, 1782

John Paterson - design for alterations, c.1782

Low (?) - design for alterations c.1782

Robert Adam - design for additions and alterations, 1784

John Lessels - additions

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

RIBA Library:

Drawings collection:

Alexander Gilkie - design for a conservatory, bridge, greenhouse, 1782, design for a bridge, pre 1796

James Playfair - design for altering principal front and interior, 1782

John Paterson - design for alterations, c.1782

Low (?) - 3 design schemes for alterations c.1782

Robert Adam - designs - plans, section and elevation for additions and alterations, 1784

James Sim - design for gates and railings, 1820

Unidentified - design for alterations to front, greenhouse, 2 bridges, castellated gateway and portcullis, garden layout and wall, 1814-17

Article:

History of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, vol.XLII, part 2, 1982; 'The House of Blackadder,' Mrs D.K. Swan

(Undated) information in NMRS.

No further information.

Visited by OS(IA) 18 December 1972.

NT 856 540. The remains of this castle may have been incorporated in Blackadder House, which has been demolished.

RCAHMS 1980.

Depicted in the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Berwickshire, sheet XVII, 6, 1908).

Information from RCAHMS (AR) 3 MAY 2000.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions