- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Hutton (berwickshire)
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Berwickshire
- Former County Berwickshire
NT85SE 1.00 88910 54929
(NT 88910 54929) Hutton Castle (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, 1982.
NT85SE 1.01 NT 88544 54698 West Lodge
NT85SE 1.02 NT 89284 54424 East Lodge
NT85SE 1.03 NT 88698 54834 Walled Garden
90394 54752 Hutton Castle Mill
Hutton Castle or Hall has been much added to and altered throughout the centuries. At its S end is the original small square fortalice, 3 storeys high, with a circular stair-tower at its NE angle. MacGibbon and Ross date this keep as probably 16th century, but Tranter states its age is unknown, but certainly pre-15th century. The tower itself is possibly a 16th century addition, a gun-loop of that period opening therein.(N Tranter 1962). The ground floor is vaulted, as is that of the large range to the N; this, now much altered, was built in 1573. The extensions have converted the place into a courtyard, open to the S. Traces of walls have been lately found, showing that the courtyard extended further outwards than now, and it was enclosed. The whole place was semi-ruinous at some time last century.(D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892) The castle was well protected to the NE by the Whiteadder; 60-70 yds SW of the castle, a ravine partly protects it. Between the ravine and the house, and 40-50 yds from the latter, are the remains of a dry ditch and mound, which doubtless continued round the site to complete the defences. Possibly this ditch is part of the works within which Edward I lay with his army the night before he took Berwick in 1296.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; N Tranter 1962.
Hutton Castle is generally as described. There is no evidence of the ditch or mound referred to.
Visited by OS(IA) 19 December 1972.
Sir Robert Lorrimer - additions, 1916-17
Reginal Fairlie - restoration, alterations and additions, 1926
[See NMRS Fairlie Mss for later note on Burrel by Fairlie's partner]
(Undated) information in NMRS.