Duns, General

Burgh, Town

Site Name Duns, General

Classification Burgh, Town

Alternative Name(s) Old Town Of Duns; The Bruntons

Canmore ID 58643

Site Number NT75SE 21

NGR NT 78709 53780

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Duns
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT75SE 21 78709 53780

The old town of Duns lay in the area known as the Bruntons (name: NT 7820 5474). It was burned in Border fighting in 1544, 1545, and 1588, after which last destruction it began to be built in its present position.

R G Johnston 1953.

Duns was erected a burgh of barony in 1490. The 'main part' of the town is said originally to have stood to the NW of the present town in the area known as 'The Bruntons', and to have been moved to its present position, close to the site of the medieval parish church, in 1545, following its destruction by an English army.

RCAHMS 1980; J Ferguson 1892; J Hardy 1894; G S Pryde 1965.

There still exists a rough map showing the last of the houses in the old town, which lay between the Pavilion Lodge (NT 780 543) and the North Lodge (NT 783 542), and showing the house in which John Duns Scotus was born.

The approximate site of that house is marked by a cairn erected near the Pavilion Lodge in 1966, the 700th anniversary of his birth.

W Renton 1978.

The modern town of Duns is vsisible on large scale vertical air photographs (OS 68/071/19-20, flown 1968 and 70/365/253-4, flown 1970).

Information from RCAHMS

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

S.M.T. Magazine, February, 1934 - article and photographs.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions