- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Hume
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Berwickshire
- Former County Berwickshire
Hume village today consists of a row of buildings lining one side of the road that runs adjacent to Hume Castle. However, until the eighteenth century, it was a much larger settlement which occupied the flanks of Hume Castle and the surrounding fields.
In 1987, an archaeological survey of the area recorded eleven rectangular stone buildings, all of which are now reduced to stone footings and overgrown. In addition, there were 18 scooped and terraced areas on which further buildings once stood.
Hume Castle was once the seat of the powerful Home family and an important Border stronghold until the seventeenth century. Although the remains that are visible today date from the last period of the village's occupation, it is probable that a settlement lay here from the time of the castle's construction in the twelfth century.
Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk
NT74SW 10 704 413.
Though the village of Hume now only consists of a single row of cottages, in ancient times it was of considerable extent, the houses extending as far as the present churchyard (NT 700 407), while others surrounded the castle (NT74SW 3, at NT 704 413).
Name Book 1858.
NT 704 413. Around the flanks of the rocky hillock on which Hume Castle stands, and in the pasture field immediately to the SW, there are remains of eleven rectangular stone buildings and eighteen rectilinear scoops and terraces, the majority of which may indicate the sites of houses. There was a large village at Hume in the mid-18th century and while many of these remains are probably of this date, some are likely to be earlier.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.