Fogo, St Nicholas' Chapel

Chapel, Priory

Site Name Fogo, St Nicholas' Chapel

Classification Chapel, Priory

Canmore ID 58484

Site Number NT74NE 3

NGR NT 77 48

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Fogo
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

Thirteenth-century documents record that there was once a chapel dedicated to St Nicholas in the parish of Fogo. No physical remains of this building have as yet been discovered, so its precise location remains unknown.

The first recorded mention of the chapel, which details its consecration, dates from 1242. It was known as the Chapel of the Lord William, after the son of the Earl. In 1253, it was granted to the monks of Kelso, who were charged to provide either three monks or three secular chaplains. The monastic community evidently lasted for some time, as there are records mentioning the prior of Fogo dating from 1465 and 1466, and a petition for provisions dating from 1537.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

77 48.

There was a chapel of St Nicholas in Fogo parish. Called the Chapel of the Lord William, son of the Earl, it was consecrated in 1242 (Fasti Eccles Scot, H Scott et al ed., 1917), and was granted to the monks of Kelso by Patrick Corbet, 1253 x 1297, the monks being held to provide either three monks or three secular chaplains in the chapel. A (Tironensian) monastic community was evidently established. A prior of Fogo occurs in 1465 and 1466. In 1537 Andrew Leslie, monk of Lindores, petitioned the Pope for provision to this priory which is 'conventual and is a dependency of the monastery of Calco (Kelso)' and of which the fruits do not exceed $7.

D E Easson and I B Cowan 1976.

No further information was obtained, either by the Ordnance Survey or Soc of Ants field investigators. (Fogo parish: centred NT 77 48).

RCAHMS 1980.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions