Country House (17th Century)
Site Name Tyninghame House
Classification Country House (17th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Tyninghame House With Garden Ornament And Gateway; Tyninghame Estate; Tyninghame House Policies; Tyningham Castle
Canmore ID 57732
Site Number NT67NW 3
NGR NT 61934 79840
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council East Lothian
- Parish Whitekirk And Tyninghame
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District East Lothian
- Former County East Lothian
NT67NW 3.00 61934 79840
NT67NW 3.01 NT 61898 79819 Pareterre, Sundial
NT67NW 3.02 NT 61913 79777 Stone Square Flower Bed
NT67NW 3.03 NT 61974 79870 Clock Tower Court
NT67NW 3.04 NT 62121 79969 Stable Block
NT67NW 3.05 NT 61537 79589 Walled garden
NT67NW 3.06 NT 61680 79564 Cottage
NT67NW 3.07 NT 61467 79816 Haddington obelisk
NT67NW 3.08 NT 61594 79583 Walled Garden, Gateway
NT67NW 3.09 NT 61503 79665 Conservatory
NT67NW 3.10 NT 62154 79972 Dairy (Summer House)
NT67NW 3.11 NT 61670 79542 Gardener's House
NT67NW 3.12 NT 61670 79542 Ingleneuk
NT67NW 3.13 NT 61470 79888 to NT 62970 80383 The Avenue
NT67NW 3.14 NT 61862 79798 Secret Garden
NT67NW 3.15 NT 61872 79833 Modern Gothic Summer House
NT67NW 3.16 NT 61852 79826 Secret Garden, Fountain
NT67NW 3.17 NT 61862 79798 Secret Garden, Gazebo
NT67NW 3.18 NT 61931 79784 Stone Square Flower Bed
NT67NW 13.00 NT 6197 7970 St Baldred's Church
NT 61161 79011 Lodge
NT 61122 79200 Dovecot (Factor's House)
NT 61116 78953 Sawmill
NT 61110 79153 Mains Farm
NT 6199 8023 Kennels
NT 6330 8126 Links Wood, anti-tank blocks
NT 6329 8068 Links Wood, anti-tank blocks
NT c. 635 811 Links Wood, cross-incised stone
NT68SW 58.00 NT 62531 80908 Tyninghame Links (steading)
NT68SW 58.01 NT 62575 80885 Tyninghame Links, Grieve's House
For Old Manse of Tyninghame (NT 6182 7981), see
For remains of St Baldred's Church within the policies (at NT 6197 7970), see NT67NW 13.00.
For cross-fragment housed in the stables, see NT67NW 13.01.
Owner: Earl of Haddington
Architect: William Burn 1830 (alterations and additions)
Earl and Countess of Haddington - designed gardens after 1700
NMRS (Sch. Scott Plans) New entrance porch and wrought iron railings.
New library bookcases.
Scottish Record Office:
Tynninghame. Alterations at Tynninghame.
'I should be extremely glad to be with you at Tynninghame to see the great alteration ther is on that place'.
Letter from Lord Polworth (later Earl of Marchmont) to the Earl of Haddington.
1722 GD 158/2507/page 49-50
(Undated) information in NMRS.
(NT 61934 79840) Tyninghame House: There was a house on the lands of Tyninghame in 1094; additions were made to it in 1617. It was used as a country residence of the bishops of St Andrews as early as the 13th century (T Hannan 1928).
In 1628, it was purchased by Thomas, first Earl of Haddington and since then it has been the principal residence of the family. The house was extensively altered in 1829.
Country Life 1902
Tyninghame is named in King Duncan's charter to the monks of St Cuthberts in 1094. By 1250 Tyninghame and lands had become the proeprty of the bishops of St Andrews, continuing so for the following three centuries. All through the 16th century, it was leased to the Lauders of the Bass, who lived on the Bass Rock in summer and here in winter. In 1828, William Burn was commissioned by the 9th Earl of Haddington to make extensive alterations to the house by facing with red sandstone and adding turrets and spires.
Extract from Estate Records, Haddington Estate Office, Tyninghame.
Tyninghame House is a modern three storeyed mansion of red sandstone with turrets and spires. It is the residence of the Earl of Haddington.
Visited by OS (EGC) 6 November 1962
The 17th century character of Tyninghame House as it appeared in the early 19th century is conveyed by a sketch in the library and whose extent is clearly shown in the drawings for Burns's alterations. The old house was built round three sides of a courtyard (where some old masonry is still visible) open to what is approximately the S, the oldest part being the thick-walled N and W ranges. It subsequently rambled out to the SE and expanded to the N. Apart from the bay windows, Burns's only significant additions to this plan were the porch, the lengthened W range and a new corridor alongside the SE projection, where he also put on some new turrets; those of the W range were there already. However, the elevations were completely altered; the walls were almost enturely refaced, new windows made and the house given a baronial appearance.
C McWilliam 1978.
Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1978.
(Undated) information in NMRS.