Our Lady's Well, Whitekirk
- Council East Lothian
- Parish Whitekirk And Tyninghame
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District East Lothian
- Former County East Lothian
(NT 5981 8165) Supposed Site of Our Lady's Well (NR)
OS 6" map (1908)
A post-reformation document in the Vatican Library states that a chapel and chantry was founded at Fairknowe in 1295 (see ) by Agnes, Countess of Dunbar, to commemorate her recovery at a nearby well. (This site may possibly refer) (P H Waddell 1893).
The number of miracles performed at this well was so great that in 1309 John Aberndley procured a shrine to be erected and dedicated to the Holy Mother.
Our Lady's Well (closed). About 11 chains NE from the parish church. This well was formerly held in great repute for the cure of barreness has been dried up for upwards of twenty years.
Name Book 1853; NSA 1845
NT 5981 8166. No further information was found regarding the well. There is no trace to be seen at the supposed site indicated on OS plan.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 November 1962
Mr Caldwell, NMAS, is presently (16 October 1974) trying to locate the well by excavation.
(Undated) information in NMRS.