Haddington, Franciscan Friary
- Council East Lothian
- Parish Haddington
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District East Lothian
- Former County East Lothian
NT57SW 15 5181 7384.
The Fransiscan Friary at Haddington was founded before 1242; it was burned by the English in 1355 and 1544. It was secularised in 1566/7, and it was decided to demolish the friars' church in 1572.
D E Easson 1957
The site of the Fransiscan friary is occupied by the present Episcopal Church (NT 5180 7387).
J Farquharson 1885
Elm House (NT 5183 7382) occupies the site of the Fransiscan friary.
J Miller 1844
The Episcopal Church and Elm House are adjacent and it is therefore reasonable, using the above information, to site the Fransiscan friary at NT 5181 7384.
Visited by OS (BS) 16 July 1975
The Greyfriars Church of Haddington was called 'the Lamp of Lothian' in honour of its magnificence. Part of the foundations of the building and evidently the remains of a graveyard were uncovered in 1878 when workmen built a large drain through the grounds of the friary.
J Robb 1883; R Gourlay and A Turner 1977.
THe National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, among the 'Uncatalogued
MSS of General Hutton', in Number 31.Vol.1, a pencil Sketch, dated 1782, of
this Abbey Church; and, in Number 32, two engraved prints.