Haddington, Dominican Friary

Friary

Site Name Haddington, Dominican Friary

Classification Friary

Canmore ID 56496

Site Number NT57SW 14

NGR NT 51 73

NGR Description NT c. 51 73

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Haddington
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT57SW 14 c. 51 73.

The existence of a house of Dominican friars at Haddington (NT 51 73) is known by references of 1471 and 1472. Its extinction date is as obscure as its foundation but was after 1489-90. It is not mentioned in the list of Dominican houses in surviving 1557 and it is likely that it had a somewhat brief existence. Brockie states that it stood at the West Port (NT57SW 3.2) (MS collection of Fr Marianus Brockie, St Mary's College, Blaris).

D E Easson 1957

There was no Dominican Monastery in Haddington. This error probably arose from a lapsus calami of an exchequer clerk who credits himself one year with the payment of a sum of money to the Black Friars of Haddington instead of the Grey Friars. That this is so is proved by the fact that various similar payments appear for years both before and after that date, credited correctly as made to the Grey Friars. (However, Miller places a convent of the Dominicans as standing nearly on the same spot as the Episcopal Church - NT 5180 7387 - and places the monastery of the Franciscans on the same spot as Elm House NT 5183 7382.)

J Miller 1844

No further information regarding the existence of this friary or its site was found during field investigation.

Visited by OS (BS) 16 July 1975

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions